12 Stones S Mix (Sulfur) - is a Free Choice mineral supplement. 12 Stones S Mix aids in production of healthy hair and coats, and in hoof and horn development.
- Sulfur is necessary for the life of animals, for it is an essential part of most proteins. Sulfur is necessary for the synthesis of sulfur bearing amino acids.
- A deficiency limits non-protein nitrogen utilization.
- Sulfur is a component of methionine and cystine (sulfur amino acids), a component of biotin and thiamine, and is involved in tissue respiration and energy metabolism through the sulfhydryl chemical groups. The optimum amount of Sulfur is in a range of 0.20 - 0.22% of the total dry matter. Sulfur is acid in nature. Sulfer-nitrogen ration should be 1-10.
- Sulfur supplementation may be necessary for ruminants when urea is being fed as a source of non-protein nitrogen.
- Sulfate - S limits Cu and Ca storage and protects against the toxicity.
- High Zn increases fecal S.
- SO4 decreases liver Mo.
Effects of an Excess of Sulfur:
- Creates an acid rumen.
- Increases need for copper.
- A laxative effect - black scours.
- Sulfur toxicity is unlikely under normal conditions.
Effects of a Deficiency of Sulfur:
12 Stones S Mix
- Limits NPN (non protein nitrogen) utilization.
- Reduced growth rate due to sulfur amino acid requirements for protein synthesis not being met for the animal.
- Poor hair coat - shedding wool in sheep.
- Poor hair, hoof, and horn development.
- Excess saliva.
- Watery eyes.
- 25 Pound Bag, Item no. B007
Directions: Offer Free Choice separate from other parts of the ration.
Note: Offer a Free Choice common white salt block or common white feed mixing salt with all 12 Stones Free Choice products.