12 Stones K Mix (Potassium) is a Free Choice Mineral Supplement. Potassium is required by the animal body for normal nutrition and is linked with calcium and phosphorus in bone building processes. Its presence affects feed efficiency by aiding rumen bacterial growth and proper cell pressure for nutrient utilization. Muscle and nerves need potassium for proper maintenance.
The optimum amount is in a range of 0.93 – 1.02% of total dry matter. Potassium is a strong base. If excessive, the rumen requires more chlorine to excrete the excess as potassium chloride.
Potassium is one of the major cations involved in osmotic pressure balance, acid-base balance, normal muscle contraction, activity and plays a major role in carbohydrate metabolism.
Forages normally contain more than adequate potassium for ruminants, but high grain rations may require potassium supplementation. Potassium needs to be supplied daily because there is no appreciable reserve. Deficiency symptoms of either Sodium or Potassium are aggravated by an excess of the other.
Effects of an Excess of Potassium:
- Excess potassium is excreted quickly in the urine but this may cause a wash out situation which can disturb the calcium-phosphorus balance.
- Excess potassium reduces magnesium absorption.
- Magnesium deficiency reduces potassium retention, leading to potassium deficiency.
- Alkaline rumen, unless chlorine is also present.
- Slows down bacterial growth and multiplication.
- Poor feed efficiency.
- Pressure inside the cell is too great for movement of food into the cell.
Effects of a Deficiency of Potassium:
- Decreased carbohydrate utilization
- Slow growth
- Reduced appetite
- Muscular weakness
- Nervous disorders
- Potassium deficiency results in diarrhea, distended abdomen, untidy appearance, unsteady gait and abnormal electrical activity in the heart. If severe, lethargic conditions with high incidence of coma and death.
12 Stones K Mix - 25 Pound Bag - Item no. B015
Directions: Offer Free Choice separate from other parts of the ration.
Note: Offer a Free Choice common white salt block or common white feed mixing salt with all 12 Stones Free Choice products.