For Organic or Conventional Livestock Production
SE Top Choice Mix Organic for Beef & Equine (Selenium) is a Mineral Supplement for all Classes of Beef and Equine. Selenium is involved in Vitamin E absorption, utilization, and retention. It is essential for glutathione peroxidase activity, which helps in prevention and repair of oxidation (rancidity) of lipid material.
- Selenium is found primarily in muscle and high protein tissue, with very little selenium found in fatty tissue. Blood selenium levels are highly responsive to changes in dietary selenium levels.
- Excretion of selenium is primarily in the urine. Urinary losses appear to be dependent on a renal threshold, that is, selenium is conserved by the kidneys up to a certain level, and there is essentially 100% loss of selenium over that level.
- Selenium deficiency results in muscular dystrophy (white muscle disease) in calves and lambs, exudative diathesis in poultry, liver necrosis in pigs and retained placentas in beef, dairy, sheep, and swine.
- Selenium toxicity results in blind staggers or alkali disease, which is characterized by hair loss, sloughing of hooves, lameness, excessive salivation, blindness, paralysis and death. In poultry, egg production and hatchability are reduced and there is a high incidence of deformities, including lack of eyes and deformed wings and feet.
- High sulfate and As levels as well as high protein in the ration protects against selenium toxicity.
Should I Supplement Selenium?
Selenium is not included in our free choice kits; however, we do carry Selenium supplements which can be purchased separately and offered if needed. While many soils are Selenium deficient, some may have excessive amounts of selenium. Visit this link to find out if you are in a Selenium deficient area. You may also consult your local vet or request a blood test.
SE Top Choice Mix Organic for Beef & Equine - 25 Pound Bag - Item no. A152
SE Top Choice Mix Organic for Beef & Equine - 5 Pound Bag - Item no. P011
Directions for Beef: Free choice, not to exceed 0.3 mg of Selenium per head per day per total ration.
Directions for Equine: Offer Free Choice separate from other parts of the ration.
Note: Offer a Free Choice common white salt block or common white feed mixing salt with all ABC Free Choice products.