Selenium, Sodium, and Vitamin Supplement for all Classes of Dairy and Beef Cattle
SE Top Choice Mix (Selenium) is a Selenium, Sodium and Vitamin Supplement for all Classes of Dairy and Beef cattle. Selenium is involved in Vitamin E absorption, utilization, and retention. It is essential for glutathione peroxidase activity, which helps in prevention and repair of oxidaton (rancidity) of lipid material.
- Selenium is found primarily in muscle and high protein tissue, with very little selenium found in fatty tissue. Blood selenium levels are highly responsive to changes in dietary selenium levels.
- Excretion of selenium is primarily in the urine. Urinary losses appear to be dependent on a renal threshold, that is, selenium is conserved by the kidneys up to a certain level, and there is essentially 100% loss of selenium over that level.
- Selenium deficiency results in muscular dystrophy (white muscle disease) in calves and lambs, exudative diathesis in poultry, liver necrosis in pigs and retained placentas in beef, dairy, sheep, and swine.
- Selenium toxicity results in blind staggers or alkali disease, which is characterized by hair loss, sloughing of hooves, lameness, excessive salivation, blindness, paralysis and death. In poultry, egg production and hatchability are reduced and there is a high incidence of deformities, including lack of eyes and deformed wings and feet.
- High sulfate and As levels as well as high protein in the ration protects against selenium toxicity.
Directions for Dairy and Beef Cattle:
Not to exceed 28.5 g (1 oz) per head per day.
Note: Must offer a Free Choice Common White Salt Block or Common White Feed Mixing Salt!
Canada SE Top Choice Mix - 25 Pound Bag - Item no. A152
Registration #: 920342