For more than a decade, Gianaclis Caldwell and her family have operated Pholia Farm Creamery, an off-grid, raw milk goat cheese dairy. In Holistic Goat Care, Caldwell offers readers a comprehensive guide to maintaining a healthy herd of goats, whether they are dairy goats, meat goats, fiber goats, or pet goats.
Holistic Goat Care will empower even novice goat owners to confidently diagnose and treat most of the ailments that goats might experience. For the experienced goat farmer, the book offers a depth of insight and approaches to treatment not found in any other book. Caldwell places special emphasis throughout on holistic, natural, and alternative approaches to caring for goats, including information on:
- Handling and managing goats using their natural instincts as an asset
- Developing good farm management practices such as appropriate housing and fencing systems and manure and mortality management
- Making feeding decisions based on understanding goats’ ruminant digestive system and their evolutionary needs
- Growing forage and garden crops as feed and utilizing wild browse
- Troubleshooting health problems based on assessing symptoms
- Implementing advanced health procedures such as pain control, fecal testing, and transplanting rumen microbes from healthy to sick goats
- Diagnosing, treating, and preventing more than 75 common goat ailments
Whether your herd is two or two hundred, this first-of-its-kind, comprehensive book will help you keep your goats healthy, safe, and productive and give you a deep and enjoyable insight into the wondrous creature that is the goat.
Copyright 2017, hardcover, 357 pages
Item number: BOOK2