December 22, 2014 - A Tragic Mistake: Horses Doomed after Given Toxic Feed

×
Share
Posted Monday, December 22, 2014 - In September, 18 horses at the Masterpiece Equestrian Center in Davie, Florida, were mistakenly given feed containing Monensin, an antibiotic generally given to cattle and chickens to make them grow faster, but which is deadly for horses. One horse died after a month on the feed and three more in the next few days. One was euthanized. Veterinarians predict the rest will die within the week. Some of these horses were worth hundred of thousands of dollars.
 
An owner of two of the affected horses said, "There's very little to do other than keep them hydrated, giving them lots of hay, giving them lots of comfort, brushing them, giving them attention and love and baths - it makes the horses happy to be attended to."

Lakeland, a Florida-based feed company, has recalled the product.

ABC Comment: A tragic but perhaps timely reminder of how techno-products we have been led to accept as being safe can have devastating results when misused.