A Review of the News
Topics of Interest Chosen by Consulting Holistic Veterinarian,
Richard J. Holliday, DVM
Posted Friday, 10/21/2016, 9:42 AM
A Third of the Planet's Food Goes to Waste -
Here's What We Throw Out the Most
Friday, October 21, 2016 - Today, a third of the planet's food goes to waste — enough to feed two billion people.
That food is wasted at every stage from farm to table, sometimes just because of how it looks. In fields, unpicked, "ugly" produce is left to rot. In grocery stores, workers reject blemished (but edible) fruits and veggies. And in our own homes, we ignore leftovers and throw out perishables before they've expired.
These percentages indicate the portion of the world's total food waste that each food category represents:
- Milk, yogurt, and cheese — 17.1%.
- Chicken, beef, and pork — 21.5%.
- Lentils, green peas, chickpeas, and seeds that make oil — 22.1%.
- Cereal, bread, and rice — 29.1%.
- Tuna, salmon, shrimp, and other seafood — 34.7%.
- Fruits and vegetables — 45.7%.
COMMENT: Looks to me that if we took better care of the food we grow, we would have little, if any, need for GMO’s and glyphosate.
Learn more at this link